Keeping the sun off your baldy head is vital.
Not all good kit needs to cost a fortune.
I needed a hat for travelling to Portugal and other sunny climes so invested in the Helikon CPU Hat. It’s typical of the Desert Hats I was issued in the forces many years ago but with a few better features. The hat is light, really light compared to the original UK forces version. This is good for two reasons, firstly you can pack it into a very small space or pocket and secondly, it’s not as sweaty.
About the Hat
It’s made of a durable rip stop fabric, it has a narrow rim which I prefer, it allows for greater visibility while keeping the sun or rain off. There is a soft internal sweatband which prevents a wet forehead or the horrible ring of sweat often sported by the British Tourist.
Whilst it’s a great hat, I came across a couple of issues. I have a big head at 60cm, and while the sizing for the XL said it’s good for 62cm upon use, however, it turns out to be tight. The problem was the elastic around the rim, but I fixed it by ripping it out. The other thing I don’t like too much is the chin strap: for me, it just gets in the way. Still, it’s not something you couldn’t sort with a pair of scissors.
What I like about this hat is it’s incredibly cool to wear on hot temperatures. As said previously it’s lightweight so fits in a pocket nicely. It looks good too, not much else to say apart from it’s the best £12 hat I’ve ever seen.
This can be purchased online from Military1st who are one of our recommended suppliers for outdoor products.
- Highly breathable concealed mesh tunnels on top and around the hat
- Effective protection against sun and rain
- Narrow and adjustable brim
- Elastic web band around the hat
- Soft internal sweatband prevents from excess sweat
- Adjustable chin strap with cord stopper
- Velcro loop patch on top
- Designed for operations in forest and desert areas
- Ideal for all outdoor pursuits such as hunting, shooting or fishing
- Durable Ripstop fabric
- Material: 100% Cotton
- Manufacturer: Helikon
- Manufacturer’s number: KA-CPU-PR